Flare Shoot prior to Race 1 – Sunday 2 July, 2017
The traditional annual Flare Shoot prior to Race 1 on the ORCV Winter Series including the use of parachute flares, has again received approval from relevant authorities. To participate in the flare shoot prior to the start of the racing on Sunday 2 July, 2017, and to ensure this long standing tradition continues, it is imperative that the following conditions be met:
1. Yachts must monitor VHF Channel 71 on 2 July, 2017 for any further instructions.
2. Yachts must be in the near vicinity of the Start Boat, approximately 1.5 nautical miles West of the Royal Brighton Breakwater, near R2.
3. Yachts must wait until the first flare is fired from the Start Boat to indicate that you can procced to discharge flares.
4. The use of the following distress flares is permitted: a. Red hand-held; b. Orange Smoke; and c. Parachute flares that have projectiles capable of reaching a maximum height of 1,000 feet.
5. Flares must also only be discharged between 09:30 to 09:45 hours on Sunday 2 July, 2017. Relevant Authorities include: • Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) • Australian Maritime Safety Authority • Port of Melbourne Corporation • Victorian Water Police • Coast Guard Melbourne CASA have issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) to alert aircraft pilots of the Flare Shoot location.