Changes to the Special Regulations
Before any discussion around Australian Sailing Safety regulations, we remind boat owners that they are obliged to also meet the State Government's legislative requirements for marine safety. Refer here for Maritime Safety Victoria Boating Requirements and here for their fact sheet which includes an equipment list. Sometimes they have additional/differing requirements, eg liferaft/dinghy for >12m coastal or off shore.
For the latest Australian Sailing Special Regulations, as well as their interpretations policy and interpretations see AS Special Regulations.
Australian Sailing Special Regulations became effective 1st July 2017 and will be valid until 30th June 2021. Some of the changes include:
- Bow pulpit openings allowable subject to opening requirements
- 9L emergency water replaced with 1L per crew member
- If DSC installed, MMSI number must be programmed and device connected to a GPS
- VHF mast head antenna required for Cat 1-3 only
- Two means of weather information receipt
- Watertight high power spotlight is required for Cat 1-3
- AIS requried for Cat 1&2
- Some publications may be electronic
- Some medical/first aid changes
- Some liferaft changes
- Mainsail reef to 50% in lieu Trysail