Flare Shoot prior to Race 1 – Sunday 2 July, 2017

The traditional annual Flare Shoot prior to Race 1 on the ORCV Winter Series including the use of parachute flares, has again received approval from relevant authorities. To participate in the flare shoot prior to the start of the racing on Sunday 2 July, 2017, and to ensure this long standing tradition continues, it is imperative that the following conditions be met:

1. Yachts must monitor VHF Channel 71 on 2 July, 2017 for any further instructions.

2. Yachts must be in the near vicinity of the Start Boat, approximately 1.5 nautical miles West of the Royal Brighton Breakwater, near R2.

3. Yachts must wait until the first flare is fired from the Start Boat to indicate that you can procced to discharge flares.

4. The use of the following distress flares is permitted: a. Red hand-held; b. Orange Smoke; and c. Parachute flares that have projectiles capable of reaching a maximum height of 1,000 feet.

5. Flares must also only be discharged between 09:30 to 09:45 hours on Sunday 2 July, 2017. Relevant Authorities include: • Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)  • Australian Maritime Safety Authority • Port of Melbourne Corporation • Victorian Water Police • Coast Guard Melbourne CASA have issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) to alert aircraft pilots of the Flare Shoot location.

Winter Series NTC4 is now published
07 Jul 2018 00:01

The 2018 “Blairgowrie Ice Bucket” is still up for grabs! WS_NTC4 has now been published on the website, confirming that our host, Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron (BYS) has agreed to our request to reschedule Race Two of the Winter Series, the Blairgowrie Passage Race. This race is now scheduled for Saturday 21st July, 2018, with the first warning at 0925. We are thrilled to have found a way to [ ... ]

more...
2018 ORCV Winter Series – Race 2
06 Jul 2018 01:30

2018 ORCV Winter Series – Race 2 After what has been a roller coaster ride with the weather forecast all this week, the gods have finally conspired against us with gale winds being forecast for Port Philip on Saturday.  All of the data are consistent at this time and the BOM Duty Forecaster has a high level of confidence in the current weather outlook. Unfortunately, that leaves the Race C [ ... ]

more...
Melbourne To Blairgowrie Weather Update
05 Jul 2018 07:35

Thursday Weather Update The weather for this weekend's race to Blairgowrie  looked very hopeful this morning as the BOM had updated the forecast, predicting winds less than 25 knots. The latest forecast has deteriorated so unfortunately a definite decision cannot be made at this time. The forecast will reviewed again Friday morning and a final decision will be made then.  [ ... ]

more...
2018 M2B Race
04 Jul 2018 02:47

For the latest weather update for this weekend race watch the video below. There is still a chance that the race will be run and we will give you a definiative answer on Thursday evening  

more...
Other Articles