Note there are separate instructions for the physical Garmin/InReach Tracker device. Click here for details.
How to use the BlueWaterTracks Yacht Race Tracker website
The ORCV Garmin/DeLorme InReach Satellite Yacht Trackers are programmed to report their position at nominated time intervals (not every second). For most ORCV races the Tracker check-in time interval is set to 30 minutes, for the 2018 Melbourne to Osaka race the Tracker check-in time interval is set to 2 hours. The Tracker check-in time interval is set to balance between sufficient updated position information, maintaining battery charge and satellite costs. There may be times during the race when the Tracker check-in intervals are increased or decreased.
As the Trackers on each yacht do not all check-in at an identical time, BlueWaterTracks tracking website estimates the yacht's current position. Estimated positions are based on the previous Tracker check-in position and the latest Speed and Course Over the Ground (COG). Estimated positions are indicated by a dashed line in the boats track. You should not be alarmed if Estimated positions touch land.
The Leaderboard has Estimated Line Honours placings and Estimated Handicap placings for Performance Handicaps (PHS), International Rating Certificate (IRC) and Australian Measurement System [AMS] handicaps.
The Leaderboard Estimated Handicap placings are based on Distance to Go and Velocity Made Good (VMG) history average speed, less any Suspended racing time, to estimate a Total Elapsed Time. The yacht Handicap is then applied to Estimate a Total Corrected Time. The Leaderboard Estimated Handicap placings are updated during the race. Please also bear in mind that VMG can change significantly during a race and that Leaderboard Estimated Handicap placings are exactly that - Estimates.
Yachts can enter one or multiple Handicaps and will only appear on the Leaderboard Estimated Handicap placings for Handicaps they have entered.
BlueWaterTracks Tracking website works across multiple devices and platforms (personal computers, smartphones and tablets).
- Windows computers: Google Chrome (preferred),, Microsoft Edge and Mozilla Firefox.
- Apple computer: Google Chrome (preferred), Apple Safari and Mozilla Firefox
- Apple iOS devices: Google Chrome (preferred), Apple Safari and Mozilla Firefox
- Android devices: Google Chrome (preferred) and Mozilla Firefox
It is also highly recommended that you:
- Update your browser to the latest version avaliable.
- Clear/Delete your browser Cache
1. Update your browser to the latest version
- Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95414?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/update-firefox-latest-version
- Apple iOS: App Store > Updates https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202180
- Android: Google Play Store https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/113412?hl=en
2. Clear/Delete your browser cache:
- Google Chrome https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- Firefox https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache
- Microsoft Edge https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/10607/microsoft-edge-view-delete-browser-history
- Safari on iOS https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201265
For further explanation and other features on the BlueWaterTracks Tracker website, please check out the following video tutorial: