Practical Navigator Course
This course will be apart of the 2019 Beyond the Bay Program, however it is also offered as a standalone course. If you wish to still join the Beyond the Bay Course, please follow this link
The role of the navigator today is vastly different to years past and mainly because of the availability of modern technologies such as weather information, better instruments, and electronic charting, etc. The practical navigator course explores these technologies in relation to both time proven navigational practices and the demands of the modern skipper for more detailed information
This one day course breaks it into; understanding the basics, planning your passage/race, and whilst at sea. You’ll be totally involved with working through practical exercises and you are encouraged to bring along your tablets or laptops.
This course is suited to Ocean Races, Cruisers, Motor Boats, Skippers and Crew.
1 Basic and principles
- What you need to know
- Reading charts including a practical session with position and co-ordinates
- Reading tide charts, general and then with the heads
2 Preparation of our trip
- How to prepare and expectations
- Where to get information from
- Working with software (free and paid)
- Information you need in order to calculate for food, fuel and water
- Taking into consideration prevailing winds
- Look at electronic sea maps / navonics
- Where to find information on currents, boat performance,
- Comparison electronic to chart systems
- Learning how to transit the Port Philip Heads
3 On water perspective
- Understanding how far you will travel
- How to get weather updates whilst travelling
- Combining information to make sure you stay in navigable water and not run aground
- Changes to the role of the navigator now with electronic systems and referencing between both and why.
- Taking into consideration, web information, currents and where to find this on the internet and then applying this to knowing your boats performance.
Course Registration Information
June 30th 8.30am-5pm OR August 11th 8.30am-5pm
Book for the July Practical Navigator
ORCV, 3 Aquatic Drive, Albert Park, Vic, 3206.
$210 for ORCV Members, $290 for Non-Members, Free for Beyond the Bay Participants.