Safety & Sea Survival Refresher Course
Bookings continue to be available for additional SSSC Refresher courses currently scheduled for 20 September 2020 and 15 November 2020.
Book here for September Course.
Book here for November Course.
For sailors whose certificates have expired*, regardless of when, a refresher (or update) course of 8 hours tuition time may be attended. The refresher, or update course is designed for active offshore racing sailors and anyone who does not sail regularly should seriously consider attending a full 2 day Safety & Sea Survival course. An update course also provides a valuable refresher to cruising sailors.
Safety & Sea Survival Refresher Content
This course focus is on lessons learned from recent incidents, updates on equipment & regulations, safety information, and practical skills in the use of liferafts and lifejackets. The course requires a minimum of 8 hours tuition time, excluding breaks and travel, and meets the requirements of the World Sailing (ISAF) Special Regulations, Appendix G, Part D - Guidelines for an Offshore Personal Survival Refresher Course.The following content is to be included in the course:
At the end of the course, participants will complete an assessment paper.
Course Registration Information
The Safety & Sea Survival Refresher Course is conducted over the period of one day, from 8.15am to 5pm Sunday at Wesley College, St Kilda Road Campus, 577 St Kilda Road, Melbourne.
Cost per course is:
Non Members $320
Youth (16-25 years old) $135
Please follow the links below to register.
Don't forget ORCV Memberships get a discount to all courses. So consider joining the ORCV
A light lunch will be provided.
Gloves and protective eyewear for the flare drill will be provided.
What to Bring
- Notepad and pens
- 2017-2020 AS Special Regulations Blue e-Book.
- Bring your tablet/laptop along: You can view an electronic version of these regulations at: 2017-2020 AS Special Regulations Blue e-Book
- Examples of current Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) used on vessels you have set to sea on, as well as experiences to share with other attendees.
For the Wet Drill you must bring the following gear:
- Full 3 layer ocean clothing (inner thermal layer, mid layer and outer ocean wet weather gear layer) & sea boots.
- Wash all clothing including wet weather gear before hand and empty all pockets.
- PFD1 YA approved per Blue Book, check for currency and compliance with Standards.
- Remove gas bottle from inflatable PFD1 if inflating manually.
- Crotch strap.
- Do NOT bring Dye Marker.
- From a safety aspect, it is highly recommended that you wear closed toed shoes for the flare shoot.
- We recommend that you prepare for this course as you would for an ocean voyage and suggest you have an early night the day before and avoid alcohol.
Additionally, the Instructors require you to wear closed shoes for the entire course, please.
We ask that you adhere to the guidelines requested of us by Wesley College.
- pdf 2 Wesley SKR Middle & Senior Campus Map 2018 (907 KB)
- pdf 3 SKR Middle School First Floor Plan 2017 Highlighted (508 KB)
- SSSC is on in Middle School, enter via Moubray Street, Gate 1, we are in the building directly along that street, so head to level 1.
- No food or drink is allowed in the classrooms
- No alcohol is allowed on the premises
- Smoking is not permitted on the premises either within the buildings or on the grounds
- Parking on the grass is strictly prohibited.